Finding a niche market is key to really making it when selling at auction. As a beginner seller you are apt to be much more successful when your items appeal to a very small market, rather than trying to sell everything including the kitchen sink.
Finding a niche isn't always easy - it takes time and and a bit of trial and error to find the product or items that are right for you to sell. To get you started with a few ideas, we have 5 product niche ideas to share with you. Some niche products might seem a bit "off the wall" to beginner sellers, but that is exactly what a great niche is - something rare and not normally thought of. Read through these 5 ideas, then let us know in comments if they inspired some other product ideas for you.
Niche Market Idea #1: Heart Rate Monitors
Heart rate monitors are used by athletes, gym members, and people who need to keep an eye on their heart rate.
- They have a 75% success rate on eBay (75% of all monitors listed on eBay in the last three months sold!)
- They are lightweight and easy to ship and store
- One size fits all.
Niche Market Idea #2: Plus Size Shoes
Finding shoes that fit comfortably and are stylish from regular retail stores can be difficult for people with larger feet.
- While these are commonly made by popular shoe makers, stores often order only a handful of pairs in larger sizes, making it difficult for people to be able to purchase locally. Therefore, they shop online and at auction.
- They have a high success rate on eBay (women's size 11 sell at 61.9% and men's size 14 at 75%)
- Hot tip: women's size 11+ high heels could make a great niche to sell in.
Niche Market Idea #3: Plus Size Maternity Wear
Another plus-size item with huge success on eBay
- Maternity and baby items always are a fabulous niche possibility for you as people are always going to have babies, so your customer base is endless!
- Clothing items are easy to ship as they pack well and are not fragile.
Niche Market Idea #4: Collectibles
Collectibles always make great niches with numerous places to search for them including yard sales and estate auctions. This is a perfect niche for people who have interest in collectibles as you will find it much easier and more rewarding when you sell something you enjoy. Consider US military memorabilia which is big on eBay and at local auctions.
Niche Market Idea #5: Antiques
Another great niche that will appeal to both collectors and home decorators which has an eBay success rate of over 67%. But better than that, antiques always sell at local auctions which cuts out the shipping costs involved online.
- Antiques can be found at flea markets and yard sales then re-sold for a profit.
- Research your market prior to buying.
These 5 niche ideas are just a few of endless possibilities for products to sell online. For more information on where to access hundreds of certified suppliers, visit wholesale suppliers.